What is myGovID?
myGovID will be the new entry way to identify yourself to log in to Australian government services for tax, business, immigration and social security. Accessing government websites can be a hassle – with this new app called myGovID, you no longer have to worry about remembering logins or passcodes. myGovID is like having a digital identity to yourself. The app enables users to access multiple Australian Government services by creating a single login or sign-in for those services.
Benefits of having a myGovID app
- Quick sign-in to your tax, business, or immigration services.
- You can access your government service records securely.
- Access to all tax alerts relevant to you through the myGovID app.
- Make tax payments securely through your myGovID app.
- Your tax history is available to view anywhere, anytime.
- Easy & secure access to online government services.
- Having a 100-point ID check on your smart device.
What’s the difference between myGovID & myGov?
In one location, with a single login and password, myGov is the entry point to a slew of online government services for individuals not businesses, including Medicare, myTax, and Centrelink.
On the other hand, myGovID is like having a distinct digital identity for yourself, allowing you to access government services online by setting up one digital persona that may be used with various services without visiting a shopfront. This lets you complete everything online without a phone call to the tax office.
Do I need a myGovID app?
Yes, most clients will need a myGovID. Anyone running a business or holding a directorship of a company will need one, as will individuals who want access to online government websites.
There’s no need to memorize usernames, passwords or have various tax accounts because the myGovID app can access them for you. It’s a fast and easy way to do tax from any smart device, and if you’re not sure how it works, we are always here to help.
How to set it up?
You will need a smart phone or tablet to set up a myGovID. The setup process is simple, and you can be myGovID-ready in less than five minutes. Here’s how:
- Go to the google play store or the App store
- Search ‘mygovid’
- Just download the app, click on ‘Create an account,’ enter your personal details (use a personal email address, not one belonging to your employer, school or university)
- Verify your identity
- You are all set! Now you’re ready to use your myGovID app to access your tax, business, and immigration services.
There are three identity strengths in the myGovID app. Basic, Standard & Strong.
- Basic identity strength – Enter your personal details
- Standard identity strength – Verify your identity documents (e.g., Medicare, Australian driver’s license, Passport)
- Strong identity strength – Verify your face to be checked against your government records
It is recommended that you use the highest identity strength as it provides a higher level of trust.
You can check further details on the official website – https://www.mygovid.gov.au/.
The Bottom Line
We recommend all clients create a myGovID as soon as possible, as most of you will be forced into it in the coming months. If you are having any difficulty in setting up your myGovID app, just give us a call. We are always happy to lend our support!